Sunday, September 30, 2012

An EPIC post on how to accessorize a LBD...

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the gap in posts.  It's been a hectic week.  But I've been thinking about this post throughout the entirety of my absence, so it will be EPIC.  Promise.

Several of my readers, including my good friend Ashely, have requested that I post about the basics of accessorizing:  who, what, when, where, why, how, and OMG that's so scary.  So, since I must return with a vengeance...game on!

Ok.  Accessories...accessories.  Where to start?  I'll be honest, I wrote different versions of this post six times before realizing that there is no way I'll adequately begin to explain every detail of when each type of accessory is appropriate.  It's like trying to cram your life story into a 2 minute allotted speaking time.  Not.Gunna.Happen.

Today, I'll focus on my GENERAL rules of accessorizing a basic outfit.  We'll start with an outfit that can be accessorized a MILLION ways...the Little Black Dress (LBD).


Once you've selected what the basic piece of your outfit is, you need to take several things into account:

1.  Where are you going?  What is the tone of this place?
2.  Will this outfit need to transition from day to night?
3.  What time of year is it?
4.  Is there even a slight chance you will need to do a lot of walking?
5.  What is the weather like today?

Let's say you're going to work in a relatively non-stuffy office environment.  After work, you're meeting up with some girlfriends for drinks and you won't have time to go home and change first.  It's Fall, still warm enough to go without a jacket and it's a gorgeous day outside.  You drive, but may want to run out on your lunch break and you still are nursing your blisters from your last fight with your hooker heels.  So, how do you accessorize this look?

Step ONE:  Since you have as basic a canvas as you can possibly work with, decide on ONE statement accessory.

In this case, I'd make it shoes.  A gorgeous pair of animal print flats can really put life into this dress in a way that's both appropriate for the workplace AND adorable for going out later on.  (You could also do a brightly colored shoe or another design...but since I've been lusting after these particular shoes for a while now, I'm using these to make my point.  Don't judge me.)

Step 2:  You have the basic outfit AND statement accessory down.  Decide on whether or not there should be any more clothing added.

In this situation, you're going to work.  And it's Fall.  Add a cardigan.  You can always take it off when you go out later if you're super about showing your arms in the Fall.  I chose a simple burgundy cardigan, which is a great color for the season and will look hot with the animal print.


Step 3:  Decide on jewelry.

I am a big believer in not being overdone.  Therefore, as a general rule, I will NEVER combine a large earring with a large necklace.  Pick ONE.  Another general rule is that chandelier, or other very large earrings, generally do not have a place at work.  In this instance, I'd wear a simple gold stud earring and a large necklace, such as this:

You could also even add a delicate, but fun, ring...such as this:

Step 4:  To belt...or not to belt?

With this look, you could absolutely wear a belt over the cardigan to cinch your waist and pull the outfit together.  For this look, I'd wear a skinny black belt, if I were to wear a belt.  But truth be told, that's just not my scene.  I can never pull it off without fearing that I look like a tool.

Step 5:  Assess.  Are you done?

This is a perfectly acceptable complete look.  But since I want to push it a little bit further, and since I'm COMPLETELY obsessed with hair accessories, we're going to add a headband to make this look a little bit more fun.

 

So, the point.  When you're working with an outfit that is simple and can be accessorized a million ways from Sunday.  Pick ONE statement piece.  It can be a loud shoe, a big necklace, a fascinator, a colorful scarf, really anything.  Then plan the rest of your accessories to go with that.  Each piece should have personality, but refinement.  You can't have too much "loud" going on in one outfit.  By that, I mean that you don't want to wear a big obnoxious necklace, a loud shoe, a colorful scarf, a loud bag, a fascinator, 6 bangles, a watch, and some lacy thigh highs in the same outfit.  Sure, Lady Gaga gets away with things like that, but you won't.  I promise.

In my next accessories post, I'll let you all know what happens when you start with a "loud" outfit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment