Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sephora HAUL and Some Makeup Shopping Tips

Hello again!

Can I just tell you all how EXCITED I am?  It's my absolute favorite time of the year.  The weather isn't too hot or cold.  The leaves are falling and just starting to crunch beneath your feet.  And all of the holiday makeup value packs are starting to arrive in stores.  Is there anything better?

Of course I just HAD to take advantage of Value Set Season at Sephora and these were today's purchases:

Tarte 5 Piece LipSurgence Collector's Set



Tarte Fantastic Foursome 4 Piece Amazonian Clay Blush Enthusiast



Tarte EmpasEYES Eyeliner in Black
Buxom Lipgloss in White Russian
Buxom Lipgloss in Dolly
Buxom Lipstick in Brooklyn


Ok.  Let me start by telling you all about the LipSurgence set.  You get 5 FULL sized (yes, you read that right) lip surgences.  Two are glossy, two are shimmery, and one is matte.  I have used them before and I will say that not only do they last, but they've got a fantastic minty taste to them.  Normally, just one full sized Lipsurgence product would cost you $24.  This set of 5 will run you a mere $35!  Uh...yes please!

The colors in this set are swatched below.  They are (from left to right): Escape, Enchanted, Exposed, Sweet, and Elite.





Escape is a gorgeous, medium bright pink with a silverish shimmer.  Enchanted is a glossy rose color that is super buildable.  You can make this color look very light and sheer, or build it into a rich rose color.  The color of Exposed...well, I'd say it's SLIGHTLY darker than my natural lip color, but really not by much.  It's totally matte, and would serve well for a "your lips but better" look.  Sweet is a warmer, coral-y pink color that has subtle gold shimmer to it.  And Elite is a reasonably warm, very glossy pink that will still look very natural when applied.

First impression:  Great value.  I'll get a lot of use out of this.  The colors are versatile and all subtle enough to wear to work.


Now, let's talk about the Fantastic 4 Set of Tarte Amazonian Clay "blushes".  This set contains four miniature "blushes".  They are smaller than the regular Tarte Amazonian clay blushes, but don't let that worry you.  I own other "miniature" Tarte blushes.  They've lasted a year so far and are still going strong...which just goes to show that you really don't NEED a full size Tarte blush, but I digress.

Anyway, the blushes are "miniature" in size and the colors are swatched below.  They are (from left to right):  Angelic, Fantastic, Magic, and Stellar.


Angelic really isn't a blush, but is definitely more of a highlight.  Don't worry, I put a LOT on for this swatch, it's not normally that dark.  It's a pretty goldish champagne that you can definitely use to highlight without looking like a disco ball (promise!)



Fantastic is...well, it's fantastic.  It's a gorgeous soft fuscia.  Not too bright, but certainly has some pop to it!  I LOVE it!



Magic is a pretty pinkish coral.  Subtle, but effective.



And Stellar...I wish I could say it's stellar.  It's VERY nude in color and has shimmer.  Almost nude to the point of...why was this product created?  I suppose that it might show up better on lighter skin, but it was still sort of a disappointment for me.  I will say though, this IS a perfect shade for people (you know who you are!) who are terrified of blush.





So, that was it for my Value Sets today.  While I was in Sephora, I was determined to buy a mechanical eyeliner.  I've just been growing very frustrated with my regular pencil liners lately.  I feel like they've been drying out, getting dull very easily, and have not been drawing uninterrupted lines.  Liquid liners are great, but they can create a really heavy look, which isn't always appropriate for daytime.  And shadow liners are great, but they take time to get it perfect.  So...mechanical liner it was.

I ended up buying the Tarte EmphasEYES mechanical liner in black, and I love it already.  Doesn't smudge.  Draws a perfect, uninterrupted line.  And can easily draw either thick or VERY thin lines.  Look at the difference between a kohl liner and a mechanical liner trying to keep continuous lines!

The writing at the top is with a regular kohl liner.  The writing at the bottom is with a mechanical liner.
So, needless to say, I'm pumped about this liner and will keep you updated about how our love affair is coming along.

I also ended up getting some free gloss and lipstick with my VIB points today.  I got two Buxom lipglosses in White Russian and Dolly and a Buxom lipstick in Brooklyn.  They are swatched below:

White Russian is on the left.  Dolly is on the right.
This is the Brooklyn lipstick.

First impressions:  I'll totally use the glosses.  They're both glosses and lip plumpers, which is fantastic for me since my lips are so thin.  They're not too sticky and have a pleasant smell to them.  The White Russian is a light, neutral pink and the Dolly is a light plum color with gold shimmer.

The lipstick is a bit dark for my usual taste.  It's sort of a burgundy color, has some sheen, but no shimmer or glitter.  With a ligher gloss layered over it, it's got potential.  But certainly not bad for free stuff!


Since this post is getting kind of long, I'll just wrap up by adding some simple, but very important advice to follow when purchasing makeup.


  • When you really admire someone's makeup, stop and ask them what products they used.
  • Know your skin type and skin tones.  Just because a color looks great on your friend who is so white she's almost translucent doesn't mean it'll look good on your Asian or Latina warm toned skin.  And just because your BFF with oily skin uses mineral foundation doesn't mean you should wear mineral foundation with your dry-as-the-Sahara skin.
  • Swatch EVERYTHING.  This is a great way to figure out a product's consistency, lasting power, and how the particular shade will work with your skintone.
  • Don't let a pushy salesperson talk you into buying something you don't want because the product you DO want is sold out.
  • Whenever possible, don't go to a brand-loyal store or kiosk.  
    • Example, if you go to the Dior counter, the sales lady will try to sell you every possible Dior product, regardless of whether or not those products are actually the best on the market.  Maybe Dior has a truly great eyelash primer or mascara, but their eye shadows suck and have no payoff.  Maybe Urban Decay has similar colors that have better payoff and lasting power than the Dior shadows.  Do you really think the lady behind the counter is going to tell you that?  No.  She'll do whatever she has to to make your face look great for 5 minutes and then send you on your way with lackluster products.
    • Stores like Sephora and Ulta are not brand specific and their sales teams will direct you to the products you're looking for without bias.
    • If you ARE going to a brand-loyal store or kiosk, KNOW which products are worth buying, and which you should pass on.
  • If you DO buy a beauty product you don't love, take it back.  I know for a fact that Sephora, Ulta, and CVS will take back products...even if they are used.  Even if you have no receipt.  If they sell it, they'll take it back.  And that's a good thing.  Beauty products add up.  And sometimes, even if you DO swatch it, you'll only know how you feel about a product after several days' use.  There's no shame in it.
And with that, I'll say goodnight!

Xoxo,

Cathy

1 comment:

  1. Hey, we must be thinking alike because I went to Ulta yesterday and got this:

    http://www.sephora.com/all-is-bright-lip-glaze-set-P376464?om_mmc=Googlepla&_requestid=42976&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-pla-_-{keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1440130

    I want the Tarte one, too, though. :)

    ReplyDelete