Monday, October 1, 2012

10 Beauty Products I Would Repurchase...A TAG Post!

Hi Everyone!

So I've been seeing a lot of "tag" posts on YouTube lately that challenge people to post about the 10 beauty products they would repurchase if by some sick joke, all of their makeup suddenly vanished.  So, I thought this would be a nice, light post for a dreary Monday.

This post was actually a lot harder to write than I had originally anticipated...because, well, I'm sort of a perfectionist, and I can find a flaw in just about anything.  It's actually quite shocking that the biggest complaint I have about my husband after five years together is his gas...but I digress.

This was a difficult post because I really started tearing my tried and true makeup products apart.  I started asking myself, "If, God forbid, all of my makeup tragically burned in a fire, would I REALLY repurchase this?  Would I even be TEMPTED to buy something new and different?  What if it was on sale and had really pretty packaging?  What if, what if, what if?"

I told you.  I'm anal.  And super hard on just about everything.  And everyone.  My makeup products are no exception.

So when I ended up with this list, TRUST me when I tell you that these products are my absolute HOLY GRAIL.  I would buy them again if I had to pay full price, had no coupon, was already broke, and was in a completely shittastic mood.  I swear it.  And the products are (in no particular order):

1.  Cle de Peau Concealer in Ochre

I've said it before.  I'll say it again.  I looked for over a DECADE for a concealer that would adequately disguise my racoon-esque dark circles.  I've tried dozens upon dozens of concealers.  The next best concealer covers about 40% of what this bad boy can.  It's worth the money, and I'd buy it again.  And again.  And again.

2.  Dior Diorshow Lash Primer

This lash primer is AMAZING.  Truly, truly amazing.  Nearly every time I wear it, I'm asked why I am wearing false lashes.  (Psh!  False lashes happened ONCE in my life...on my wedding day!  How much time do think I TAKE to get ready!?)  My mother didn't believe me.  Then I forced her to try it on one eye after she had already applied her "amazing" product on her other.  I will be ladylike and not repeat the four letter word that came out of the bathroom, but I will say that she promptly dragged me to Sephora to show her EXACTLY what she just used.  It's not cheap either.  I won't lie.  But it's worth it.

PLEASE NOTE:  Do NOT wait for the product to dry before you put on mascara or it'll be ClumpFest 2012.  Apply the mascara immediately after putting on the primer and it'll be perfect.

3.  L'Oreal Voluminous Lashes Mascara in Carbon Black

I first discovered this mascara during a summer I fondly refer to as my Quarter Life Crisis.  I had just withdrawn from Law School after a rather hellish first year and was waiting tables while I tried to figure out what was next for me, career-wise.  Anyway, a fellow waitress always had THE most amazing eyelashes.  I would regularly compliment her on them...until one day I realized, "Bonehead!  Your lashes can look like hers.  Just ask her what mascara she uses."  She led me to this mascara, and my new love affair was born.  This mascara gives you VOLUME and length...and the waterproof version DOES NOT BUDGE, even when you're doing the ugly cry (as I discovered on my wedding day!)  And for less than $10 a tube, it really can't be beat!

4.  Nars Lipgloss in Chihuahua

I love Nars glosses.  Striptease and Chihuahua are my favorites.  But Chihuahua is a new one for me, and I have to say, I like it even better than Striptease.  It's a gorgeous color that Nars describes as "guava" colored.  So...what the HELL does that mean?  Yeah, I didn't know either.  Basically, it's a gorgeous pink shade that is neutral in tone.  It's very natural looking and is the perfect way to balance out a heavy eye look.  It's not cheap, but it is long lasting.  I'd buy it again.

5.  Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Dollface

Tarte makes AMAZING blush.  My absolute favorite colors are Dollface and Exposed.  Dollface, pictured above, is a gorgeous light pink color that is perfect on just about any skintone.  And Exposed is a more natural, rosy hue...again, gorgeous on any color.  What makes the blush special?  It stays.  ALL DAY.  You want to apply your blush at 7am and have it on when you leave work?  This is your blush.  If I were broke and makeup-less, I'd buy the package that contains both Dollface and the Park Ave. Princess bronzer (which is also awesome).  Together, they cost just $15 at Ulta.  Not bad, considering a full sized blush will set you back $25.  Will it last?  I can't say.  I've only had mine for a year...
6.  L'Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner in Carbon Black

Not much to say really.  This is the perfect black liquid liner.  It's long lasting.  It doesn't smudge.  The felt tip makes for an easy application.  Seriously, I have successfully applied this liner on the subway.  It's THAT easy.  Oh...and it's under $10.  There's NO reason whatsoever to buy another liquid liner, especially one that's more costly.  This little guy will do the job right.  Every time.

7.  MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft n Gentle

This highlighter by MAC is unbelievably gorgeous and flattering on just about any skin type.  It's quite pigmented, so use a fluffy brush, and a little dab will do.  I've used it as a regular highlighter and as an eyeshadow and I always get compliments on it.  In fact, I've had to safeguard it against several attempted thefts from one of my cousins.  It's awesome!

8.  Essie Mademoiselle Nail Polish

Those who know me well may find it amusing that I included a nail polish in this list.  I basically have no fingernails.  I've bitten my nails since I could chew.  It's really unfortunate, but it is what it is.  This nail polish is gorgeous.  Stunning.  Sophisticated.  Goes with EVERYTHING.  It's a very classic, elegant sheer pale pink.  A nice manicure, and two coats of this, and I always feel like a new woman. 

9.  Urban Decay Naked Palette

Yes.  I'll be cliche.  If I had to start over, I'd buy the Naked palette again.  The shadows are superior in quality.  There is excellent color payoff.  There are plenty of neutral shades to get you through your workdays, and the edgier colors are perfect for going out looks (Gunmetal being my favorite!)  The palette comes with a brush and UDPP, so the value is not lost on me...even with the recent increase in Naked Palette prices.

10.  Nars Tzarine Eyeshadow Duo

This eyeshadow duo is absolutely gorgeous.  The gold is a beautiful, lighter shade of gold with just enough sheen.  The other shade can look steely grey, or green, depending on the lighting it's in.  The colors blend seamlessly together for the easiest smokey eye look imaginable.


Now tell me, what products could YOU not live without?

1 comment:

  1. So... I'm supposed to write about my top 10 in my own blog now, right?

    Please post again soon. I love reading your blog, even if you're going to cost me a fortune because I keep wanting to buy everything you post about.

    ReplyDelete